It is that time of year when we start thinking about getting away on vacation. Below are some tips that you can use to keep your home safe when leaving on a trip.
- Be cautious who you tell that you are going away.
- Use timers to turn on and off your lights and TV.
- Be sure to lock all doors and windows including your basement and shed.
- Keep all valuables locked in a safety deposit box.
- Have a neighbor park their car in your driveway.
- Install an outdoor motion sensor light.
- Make arrangements for your mail.
- Make arrangements for your newspaper.
- Call your home security company to advise them of your plans.
- Turn off your water at the main shut-off.
- Turn off ice makers.
- Turn off the humidifier/ dehumidifier.
- Unplug the water softener.
- Turn your hot water heater to the vacation setting.
- Set your thermostat at desired level.
By following these tips you can relax and enjoy your trip knowing that your home is safe and sound.